Sunday, May 1, 2016

Mountaintops and Valleys. And Plateaus.

I've always thought that life goes through times you feel like you're on a mountaintop, and times you feel like you're in a valley. The valleys are definitely not fun, but I always know that they can't last forever, and soon there will be another mountain to climb.


It's a pretty basic life philosophy that keeps me encouraged when I'm feeling low. But lately I've discovered there are more geographical features than just mountains and valleys. There are also plateaus.


Plateaus are like a mountain; they're really high up.  It'd be pretty scary to fall off of one. Unless you just rescued a giant golden eagle and she could swoop down and catch you (Rescuers Down Under anyone?).

But they are also a lot more boring than a mountain.

They're simply, just flat.

So maybe you were in a valley. Maybe things changed, jobs ended, family moved, relationships became strained. But things got better. A new job came along, new friends, new opportunities. And everything was bright and sunny, unless of course you lived in New York. But figuratively, it was bright and sunny. :)

And since then, nothing got worse. No life-threatening illnesses, no heart-breaking romances, no overdraft fees.

But nothing got better, either.

That beautiful mountaintop became a flat plateau. It's not bad, it's not a valley. It's just not exciting.

And this is where we get stuck in the ruts. Where we do things just because we always have. We do what is normal because it is good and it is comfortable. But it is also monotonous.

I feel like I'm at a plateau right now. All I can see for miles and miles around me is flat, empty rock. I don't want to fall back down into a valley, but I desperately want something to change, just for the sake of change.

Is this good or bad?


I'm really not sure... I think that this is a place where you need to remind yourself why you are here and why you do what you do. Sometimes you just have to step back and remember why you're going to work, why you're married to your husband (or wife), why you believe in God.

You know, plateaus are still high. They're still scary to fall off of. But the view from up there is still crazy amazing. Every once in a while, you just have to stand on the edge and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment